Every Vote Counts! Sign Up to get a ballot and help choose the BEST of the BEST
Voting Home / Detroit Opera House
0 YOUR VOTES
< 20 TOTAL VOTES
24 DAYS LEFT
Nominated for: BEST Theater
Historically Michigan Opera Theatre's home is Detroit's fifth opera house. Located on the corners of Broadway and Madison at Grand Circus Park, the theater was originally opened January 12, 1922, as the Capitol Theater. At the time of its gala premiere, the 4,250-seat theater claimed to be the fifth largest in the world. The theater was the first in a series of palatial vaudeville and moving picture houses built in the Grand Circus Park area in the 1920s. Designed by renowned Detroit architect C. Howard Crane, whose genius for theater design took him to cities around the nation, the building was constructed with superb acoustics and in the style of the grand European opera houses. Crane also designed such Detroit landmarks as the Fox Theater, State Theater, and Orchestra Hall.